Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Stevie Nicks: Self Portraits


Who knew Stevie Nicks was Queen of the selfie, before the term was even invented?! These self portraits of the (my favourite) singer were taken at home and in hotel rooms throughout the mid-seventies. They have just been released from the shoe-box under the bed, to the public for purchase through the Morrison Hotel Gallery; signed by Stevie!  I love the capturing of make believe in real time; what is more significant to the viewer- the dress up aspect or time and place? It may seem frivolous, but how wonderful to have this strange chronological collection of moments.

Here's what she has to say about the work:

"Some people don't sleep at night - I am one of those people. These pictures were taken long after everyone had gone to bed - I would begin after midnight and go until 4 or 5 in the morning. I stopped at sunrise - like a vampire... I never really thought anyone would ever see these pictures, they went into shoeboxes, where they remained. I did everything - I was the stylist, the makeup artist, the furniture mover, the lighting director. It was my joy - I was the model..."

A girl after my own wild heart; this makes me feel even better now about my floral crown photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...